Why is Napoleon such an important historical figure?
By Michal Ugor
Surely there are many but to name a few:
- Unlike most political leaders he actually fought in the front lines
- Took a country in distress and changed it to thriving power - that was not achieved by war alone, there were many reforms
- One of the most notable legal reforms was Napoleonic Code, the beginning of modern codified civil rights
- He can be considered a founder of Modern Egyptology
- He rose from practically being a zero - Napoleon came from a small island with humble beginnings
- He was vigorous man and brilliant mind - even in exile in St Helena, he would keep bothering Governor with ideas on how he can improve the place, infrastructure of the city, supply chain etc.